Cultural Competence in Computing (3C) Fellows
Undergraduate computing departments have long suffered from issues related to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI).
However, there has been, to date, no large-scale effort that focuses on addressing issues of systemic racism and bias that
directly impact not only students from minoritized groups, but also faculty (as issues of race, gender, and intersectionality
impact hiring, promotion, and tenure decisions).
The Cultural Competence in Computing (3C) Fellows Program is a cohort-based professional development program
that helps computing faculty, staff, postdoctoral researchers, graduate students, and professionals:
1)learn more about social science topics (such as identity, intersectionality, racism, bias,
and discrimination) and how these topics impact computing environments (as well as the developed technologies); and
2)develop computing deliverables at their home institutions that leverage these topics to foster more
inclusive and equitable cultures.
The Fellows FAQ answers frequently asked questions about the program and participation.
Fellows Implementations & Resources
Fellows Reporting Requirements (ALL COHORTS)
- Use our Forms & Reporting page to collect feedback on your deliverables, update your information,
and report any awards, achievements, publications, and other updates.
Cohort 4 Information
General Schedule: Cohort 4
- October 10, 2022-March 31, 2023: Applications Accepted
- May 2023: Cohort 4 Acceptance Notifications
- June 2023-Jan 2024: Prep Packet Review
- Feb-June 24, 2024: PD Sessions
- Spring 2025: Follow-up PD Sessions (2)
PD Session Schedule (Spring 2024, 12-2pm EST): Cohort 4
- February 3, 17
- March 9, 23
- April 13, 27
- May 4, 18
- June 8, 22
- Follow-up Sessions: TBD, spring 2025
Cohort 3 Information
PD Session Schedule (Spring 2023, 12-2pm EST): Cohort 3
- February 4: Lovely Day (by Bill Withers): Kickoff
- February 18: Ultra-Black (by Nas): Race, Ethnicity (Guest Speaker: Dr. Lee Baker)
- March 11: Land of the Free (by Joey Bada$$): White Supremacy (Guest Speaker: Dr. Eduardo Bonilla-Silva)
- March 25: This is America (by Childish Gambino): White Supremacy (Part 2) (Guest Speaker: Dr. Jessie Daniels)
- April 15: Four Women (by Nina Simone): Gender, Sexuality, and Intersectionality (Guest Speaker: Dr. Jennifer Nash)
- April 29: Everybody Loves the Sunshine (by Roy Ayers): Ability and Ableism (Guest Speaker: Mariella Paulino)
- May 6: Whitey on the Moon (by Gil Scott-Heron): Class and Classism (Guest Speaker: Dr. Anthony Jack)
- May 20: Church Girl (by Beyonce'): Misogyny, Misogynoir, Homophobia, Transphobia, and Other Forms of Oppression (Guest Speaker: Dr. Sasha Costanza-Chock)
- June 10: Talkin Bout a Revolution (by Tracy Chapman): Teaching Contentious Issues (Guest Speaker: Dr. Martin Smith and 3C Fellows-Prior Cohorts)
- June 24: Umi Says (by Mos Def/Yasiin Bey) Closeout
Year 2 PD Session Schedule (Spring 2024, 12-1pm EST): Cohort 3
Cohort 2 Information
Year 2 PD Session Schedule (Spring 2023, 12-1pm EST): Cohort 2
- Feb 11, 2023: Session 1 (12-1pm EST)
- April 1, 2023: Session 2 (12-1pm EST)
Rules of Engagement
All sessions will abide by the rules of engagement, to ensure a safe space for learning and growing.